Ok, I'll admit it. I am a bad blogger. It's been over 2 weeks. I can't seem to get a once a week post groove going. The joys of not having a computer at home. But that won't be a problem on oh, 7 weeks!
My love and I have found an apartment, are signing our lease next week, and move in June 1st! It's incredibly exciting, the place is gorgeous! It's a 1 bedroom, 1st floor of a house. The kitchen is big and will be perfect for entertaining. The entry room is pretty big, so that will be our office. The living room has a big bay window on the side, a (non-working) fireplace kitty-cornered opposite the bay window. And the bedroom has a smaller walk-in closet, and it's a pretty big room! The couple who owns it (our new landlords) are young, the guy is a teacher, I think we made a really good impression on them that we're just starting out this part of our life together, and it will be the perfect place for us. The ceilings are very tall; I think the house is Victorian...yes, that would make sense. And there's a fenced in backyard with a patio right off the kitchen, and they created a big square vegetable garden in the middle of the yard - YAY VEGGIES!
So now I am eagerly awaiting moving day and being able to settle in together and decorate. I am slightly nervous about combining our decorative tastes, but I'm sure we'll be able to figure out where to put everything so it looks eclectically cohesive and classy ;)
And thank GOODNESS we won't need to go out and make any major purchases. My parents are giving us a matching couch and chaise (matching furniture!) and we have most everything else between the two of us. I was thinking about getting myself a new bureau from IKEA with my eco-stimulus check, but I'd rather putt hat towards bills and take the extra bureau from my parents house that I grew up with. It's tall and darkish wood, which will match his tall bureau in size and height.
I know the first decoration will be the Red Sox doormat placed right inside the front door.
The biggest challenge will be avoiding the temptation to go out and buy curtains, rugs and lamps that we don't need. I already have curtains to go in the major rooms, namely the living room and bedroom. We have more than enough furniture. I may need to part with my comfy chair in order to put my piano and guitars in the living room and have a little music corner. He has a small bookshelf that could be used to hold my sheet music binders, music books, flutes...
I am continually inspired by decorating. I am going to admit that I spent a fair amount of time this weekend watching HGTV, seeing how couples blend their taste. I love seeing how people decorate and reflect their personality. I love seeing how a couple funky pieces can compliment something more traditional. I love color and texture and angles and looking at a finished room and feeling like it's 100% complete and finished.
Color! I forgot to mention, the rooms are all painted, and they're all colors that we love! Huzzah! There is nothing uglier to me than a house full of plain white walls. So cold and uncomfortable. So, our entryway is a nice moderate shade of yellow, the kitchen is a mid/light green, the living room is beige (the fireplace is dark red) and the bedroom is crimson. Perfect.
So once we're in and settled, I will take some pictures and post here! Wish us luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment