Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Running Log Week 1

Yesterday I started training to run. It kicked my bum! I did lots of reading and research on tips for beginning runners. Like most people who don't consider themselves "runners", you can't just go out the door and run a mile, you need to work up to it.

As predicted by every article I read, I tried to do too much too quick. Running outside is incredibly different from running on a treadmill. The pavement doesn't give at all. The cold air is more difficult to breathe. Breathing while running in and of itself is something you need to train to do. There are distractions; cars, kids playing in their yards, other runners. It almost shocked me how hard it was. I only jogged for 3 minutes and I was winded. I walked 5 more minutes and then tried to jog again and couldn't. It also didn't help that I got a little lost around the back end of my neighborhood. That was another distraction.

As a beginner, you are supposed to start off very slow. Walk 1 minute, jog 1 1/2 minutes, alternating for 30 minutes. Do that 3 or 4 days your first week. You need to give your body rest. I'll go back out again, maybe tomorrow, and stick to that regimen. I think I also need to start off at the high school track, away from traffic and hard street pavement, until I am a bit more conditioned. You're supposed to run on softer ground like trails and paths so you don't kill your knees and joints.

So this is week 1 of me trying to start running. The goal is to be able to run a 5K (3 miles) this summer. I don't know if there are any road races around here that are 5K, but I'd love to challenge myself to that. It's just so nice to be outside and be moving. I have definitely had a lazy, cooped up winter and I'm ready to be outside and get healthy! The thing I keep telling myself as it is so hard right now, is that it will get easier. I will get healthier, I'll feel better, and I'll be able to run longer distances without getting winded. Right now is the hardest part.

No comments: