Saturday, December 20, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For

For the past month or so, I have been eagerly awaiting the first real snowfall. Well, we got it yesterday in a big way. So big that work was let out at 1 pm and the highways were already clogged with people trying to get home. Some friends from work and I decided to get a bite to eat down the road, so we slowly made our way there and had a mini feast. I got a delicious steak and cheese sandwich with fries and a Harpoon IPA. We ended up staying there for 3 hours, hanging out at the bar, playing pool, and enjoying not being stuck in the traffic and weather. ARound 4:30 I said my goodbyes and headed out into the snow. It was really nasty out. I made 2 stops before getting on the highway, to get food for dinner and a shovel, and to fill up on gas. I got on the highway at 5, and pulled into my driveway at 7:30. Yuck. I didn't even take anything out of the car. I hopped out and got to work shoveling. Luckily, we have gracious neighbors who snow-blow the sidewalk in front of the house, but I had to clear a space for Sean, who was on his way home, and clear the steps and porch so our neighbor-lady could get up at 7 am this morniing to go to South Caroliina. Bless her, she came out and tried to help me shovel. I've mentioned before that she's 92, right? I let her sprinkle some salt on the steps and shooed her inside.

So it looks like it's not a great day to do much of anything outdoors. I'll go outside in a bit and clean up the front again and try to de-ice my car. I guess it took Sean about a half hour this morning to clear his car off enough to drive. And sadly, it's supposed to snow more later, which means he will likely stay at the hotel in Stamford that his company puts people up in when the weather is really bad. Given that he's supposed to be in at 7 tomorrow morning, this is the safe thing to do. I will just miss him, since he won't get out till 8 tomorrow night. IT'll be a very quiet weekend.

I hope you are all safe and warm and have power and food. Stay dry and have a very merry Christmas week. I will be heading home to my parent's house for Christmas eve and will be there through next Sunday, so I might not get around to posting. Enjoy your holidays!

No comments: