I finally sat down this evening and watched Annie Hall, my latest Netflix delivery. It's been sitting on the coffee table for nearly two weeks, so I figured it's time to either watch it or send it back, as I'd like to get my money's worth.
Well, here's my "eh" review. It was good. Very smart, very well done in that quirky, Woody Allen way. A bit self-indulgent (duh), and at times pretentious. But it was very smart. He'll poke fun at anyone, most especially, himself. I really enjoyed being surprised. Once you get over Allen's sarcastic, whiny, not even subtle general smarminess, it's a little bit of a charming movie. I am crazy about Diane Keaton, and she was just lovely. And there were a handful of stars who were not yet famous (Jeff Goldblum) that I enjoyed seeing in cameos. Paul Simon was in it! I kept saying "That's got to be Paul Simon! But he has terrible hair!....But he has hair!"
I put Annie Hall on my queue because I want to see more of the "Top 100 Greatest Movies of All Time" or whatever that list is. I wouldn't consider it a waste. Woody Allen movies are pretty hit or miss with me. Sean can't stand him. I love Bullets Over Broadway. So, it just comes down to what you're in the mood for. I don't know if I'm ever "in the mood" for Woody Allen (Oh God I hope not!!) but I'll say that Annie Hall was a good one. I'll probably never watch it again, but it was good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment