Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

I have never been more grateful for a 3 day weekend, and I need it after last week. I have a busy September ahead of me, and aside from a little house cleaning today, I'm planning on relaxing outside with a good book and enjoying this gorgeous weather.

I've had a bit of a strange summer, as I did last year. I've had little to no desire to go to the beach, and therefore haven't gone to the beach for the past 2 years. I don't particularly consider the Long Island Sound to be the ocean in any way shape or form, and while the CT coastline is pretty, it's not the beaches of the South Shore that I grew up on and hold near and dear to my heart.

It is also strange transitioning pretty much completely out of the recent grad life into adulthood. Pretty much all of my friends have graduated, maybe 1 or 2 have another year left, but I'm not as close in touch with them. So there's no excitement of so and so going back to school. And most of us now have our own residences to spend our time how we'd like. Many have begun relationships in the past year, or bought houses or are planning weddings. It seems like we're getting to that point in life where friends are not our number one priority. They are always important and loved and welcome, but maybe our focus is changing to our careers, our relationships, and if we're in our own house/apartment, the upkeep that seems neverending.

In the past when I would be running around this weekend, seeing all my friends, attending barbecues, maybe going to the beach or off somewhere for an overnight, I am home today, seeing at least two loads of laundry ahead of me, a few dishes in the sink to wash, and plenty of clutter that needs to be thrown away or put in it's proper place.

It seems like this is very sudden, that I didn't seem to have to worry about this so much living with roommates the past 2 years. Is this what comes with "What's mine is yours"? And how do you balance keeping up a house with keeping a life? Because sometimes it feels like since Sean and I moved in, all I do on the weekends is clean.

So, I'm devoting the next 2 hours to getting some stuff done, and then I am stopping and enjoying my weekend. THank goodness for Labor Day!

Enjoy yours!

No comments: