Wednesday, September 9, 2009

White Wine and Apple Cider Vinegar Porkchops and Potatoes

As requested in a comment on my previous post, here's the recipe for porkchops and potatoes that I made this past Sunday. I didn't follow a recipe, so the measurements are more eyeballed than exact.

Allow 5-6 hours cooktime on low in crock pot, 3-4 hours on high.

4 1" thick porkchops
4-5 russet potatoes, sliced 1/4-1/2" thick
2 small onions, one quartered, 1 cut in 1/4" slices
1/2 cup chardonnay
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon garlic, minced or ground (whichever you prefer)
salt and pepper to taste (I use sea salt and cracked black pepper, but ground works too)

Season porkchops with salt, pepper, and a light sprinkle of nutmeg and rosemary, set in bottom of crock pot (I use my small crock pot and do two layers of 2 chops). Wedge onion quartersin betwee and on the sides. Place onion slices on top of porkchops. On a separate plate, season potatoes with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. Simmer chardonnay, apple cider, nutmeg and rosemary until it bubbles, approx. 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in water. Add mixture to crock pot, and place sliced potatoes on top. Cook on low for approx. 5 1/2 hours.

Note: You will be tempted to lift the cover and smell frequently. Keep in mind that this will add to your cooktime if too much heat escapes!


The porkchops are incredibly tender, but I was more surprised by the potatoes, as they retained more of the apple flavor. You can adjust any way you'd like, if you have a different white wine preference (I prefer chardonnay for cooking, it's a bit more bitter).

I am hoping to try this recipe again soon, but instead of white wine and cider vinegar, with cinnamon apple sauce. And maybe another time with an apple reisling, for a much sweeter meal. It's the wonderful thing about fall, there are so many delicious smelling and tasting flavors to use.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Shannon! Totally going to make it this week. I bought all of the ingredients today. I'm going to try it with a pork roast instead of chops, though. I'll let you know how it goes!
~kelly