Sunday, December 27, 2009

DIY - Pearl & Ribbon Necklaces

I haven't posted much in the way of wedding details and projects because I know some readers are coming to the wedding, and I want some overall "look" things to be a surprise. I do want to post this project however, for any bride or awesome lady looking for an easy gift to make for bridesmaids, friends, or herself! The picture to the left is the inspiration of what I wanted to create...

Some details of note...My bridesmaids range in age by nearly 10 years, so I wanted something classic-looking and elegant, but not your typical wedding jewelry; something they could hopefully wear again with an LBD; and something that I could make especially for them by myself.

Materials:
Beadalon Satin Silver .012 in jewelry string
10mm white pearls - 18 pearls per necklace
Accent finishing beads
18mm ribbon clamp (gold)
Champagne ribbon - 2 1ft. pieces per necklace

Tools: Scissors and pliers

Step 1. Cut an 12-14 inch piece of thread. Tie off one end of the thread to one ribbon clamp. I used a simple square knot, leaving about 2 inches of thread loose with the knot to tuck into the beads. String on a seed bead and a finishing bead, if you choose to use them.

Step 2. Feed the shorter, loose end of thread through the beads, and string pearls on, feeding thread through each pearl until it's completely hidden. Once done stringing pearls and finishing beads, tie the other ribbon clamp as closely to the beads as possible.


Step 3. Fold the edge of the ribbon so the unfinished edge is tucked into the clamp. The clamps have little "teeth" so you don't have to worry about the ribbon sliding out. Give the clamps a good squeeze with the pliers until they can't clamp anymore.

Step 4. You're done!


1 comment:

The Modern Gal said...

Those are cute! I love how simple jewelry making can be.