Friday is my 25th birthday, and I am hoping it is the most fabulous yet.
I tend to see my birthday as New Year's Day, the time for me to set my goals and look ahead at what I want to accomplish for myself; personally, professionally, physically, spiritually. This is my reflective time of year. I am an autumn baby through and through. I love the colors of foliage and the smell of pumpkin spice. I love the smell of people firing up their woodstoves for the first time this season, and the warmth of my sweaters brought out from storage to warm me on the first days where there's that amazing little chill in the air.
So what's coming for this year? I can't begin to imagine. A year ago, I didn't know that Sean and I would move in and grow this close and be discussing our future more realistically than ever. I didn't know I would stay with my current job and be promoted. This year to come? I have incredibly high hopes, not just for myself, but more for those around me, those who I have watched have a tough year, one way or another. I have hopes for my family, for their happiness and success and joy. For my friends, who I have watched enter into amazing relationships and they are happier than I've ever seen them.
Me? I want to grow professionally, absolutely. I want to expand my talents beyond my full time job and explore creative opportunities. Greeting cards? Maybe. Logos? Sure! Graphic patterns custom made for designers? We'll see...
I want to grow spiritually and better myself. Duh. The question is how? Is it better to question and explore or to be rock solid in my beliefs and my faith? When I was 18, I thought I knew all the answers. Now, I'm not so sure. My one certainty is my awareness of the intricate weavings of life that is all around me.
Personally....Can I be super girly and take a moment to squee at how wonderful Sean is, and how he is my best friend and everything that I love and want in my "other half"? Having said that, I am excited to see what this year brings us. Living with him, I feel like he brings out the best in me. He is sweet and funny and romantic and caring and protective. Why am I so lucky? What have I ever done to deserve to be loved by him?
So with all this to reflect on, my immediate focus is Friday afternoon. I took the afternoon off from work so I can do whatever I want. So what will it be? Pedicure? A nap? A matinee of Nights in Rodanthe (I don't mind seeing movies alone, especially the ones that'll make me cry)? I might not decide until I walk out the doors from work. I can tell you one thing. I will look fabulous.
That's my superficial (but not really) goal for the year. I was always taught to embrace the beauty on the inside, which I feel I have a really good grip on. But that doesn't mean I can't celebrate what's on the outside, which I feel I have neglected for some time.
Does this mean I am giving up my comfy pants and flip flops? Absolutely not.
Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment