Sunday, October 19, 2008

There's Only One October...

THE RED SOX HAVE MADE IT TO GAME 7!!!!

Ok, had to get that out of my system. I stayed up last night, watched up to the 6th inning at my brother's house and sped 20 minutes down the highway to catch the rest of the game at my parents' house. Sandwiched between my mom and grandma on the couch with Caseypuppy sprawled over our laps, and my dad in the armchair, we watched and cheered and hollered at the Tampa fans, and in the end, we made it through to Game 7. Holy cow. This team sure knows how to raise the blood pressure of the greater New England area for the month of October.

I was literally rounding the off-ramp of Exit 11 when Varitek hit his homerun after the worst hitting slump of his career, and I almost hit about 5 snow poles, I was so excited and screaming and honking my horn (note: in a quiet little town with 1 traffic light and all local business close at 5 or 6 pm). It was fantastic.

I really hope we get to go to the World Series. I don't think it's greedy to want my teams to win championships. Every team has ups and downs, and you need to enjoy it when they're up so you can get through the seasons they're down. Some teams, it's true, have more ups than downs. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Patriots Dynasty the past few years, so I'm able to take this season with a grain of salt. The Cubs will have their year (I hope!), and so will the Mets and all the other teams that haven't won in X or Y years. There are curses and superstitions and rituals and I love every aspect of the season, from wearing the same jersey every home game to hopping over the first base line when going onto the field to not shaving to sitting in the same order on the bench when at bat. I love this stuff. You can't script a post-season like this.

Bring it, Tampa Bay. May the best team win.


No comments: