Thursday, July 2, 2009

What a strange week...

"Strange" is really the only word I've been able to use to describe the overload of deaths in the past week. Sad, yes. Tragic, maybe? But strange, definitely. The world definitely shook for a few days there.

First, our beloved Ed McMahon. Our parents watched him on Johnny Carson, but I grew to love him watching Star Search. Could you imagine all the talent that man witnessed in his career, between those two shows?

Next came Farrah Fawcett on Thursday morning. An "Angel", a sex symbol, and a seemingly genuine, sweet person who had a tough battle with cancer. I remember her stepping out with the other Angels at an awards show last year, and it seemed so bittersweet. My fondest memory of her was as J.T.T.'s mom in Man of the House, back in my J.T.T. lovin' days. I thought she was pretty and her raspy voice was intriguing.

Next was possibly the biggest shock, the loss of Michael Jackson on Thursday afternoon. I got home from work after seeing a "tweet" from The Modern Gal about how she hoped it wasn't true. I checked the internet to see what was going on and was greeted with a media explosion. It was sad in a strange way. I can't say I am a huge MJ fan. I loved his music, and will continue to listen to it and enjoy it. And there's no doubting the influence he had on the world of dance, which I respect him for. He had a tough life, a lot of ghosts, and I feel for his family and children. I hope they can get away from the media to properly grieve, because we know how every single little detail and piece of dirt will be turned over and over in the coming weeks.

The best way I can tribute him is recount my all-time top 5 favorite MJ songs:

5. ABC - with the Jackson 5. In my brief stint as a PeeWee cheerleader, our halftime dance was done to this song and it's one of those fun memories that has always stuck with me.

4. Billie Jean - Great song, great beat to it, a MJ classic.

3. I'll Be There - His sweet young voice sticks with me here.

2. Beat It - I always loved this one for the video with the gang fight and dancing. Reminded me of West Side Story, it was so well choreographed.

1. Black or White - This memory sticks with me the most. I remember seeing the video on MTV as a youngin' and just being fascinated. All the different dance styles, the culture wrapped up into one music video, and the cool morphing at the end.

Thanks for the music. There's no telling how many lives were touched or influenced by him in one way or another.

And lastly, I this this one shook me the hardest...Billy Mays?? We were getting out of church Sunday morning when Sean got a text. Now, with Sean's job, Billy Mays is a daily part with his boisterous sales pitching. He'd become a regular topic of discussion and impersonations in our group of friends, and I must say, I was very sad to hear that he died.

Just a reminder, folks, don't take this life we're given for granted. Whether you live to be 30, 50 or 90, live it up!

No comments: