Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Design Class 101

I had my first of 6 design classes this afternoon, and I feel about 1000x better about life right now. I feel like this is going to be a great experience for me to grow as a designer. It was very refreshing to have my mind reopened to the thought process of design. I'm beginning to wonder if I've been suppressing it since college. I feel like I had forgotten the technical process of design completely. I'm very much looking forward to digging in and developing myself as a designer.

It's amazing how therapeutic art is. Just sitting there, they gave me a list of basic design statements. One of them was "Do you think of yourself as a designer? Or do you think 'I want to become a designer'." I've been holding myself back, thinking I want to be this or that. But I already am. I've just doubted myself and lost my confidence, my "mojo", from having a lack of personal creativity in my life.

It's time for me to make some changes. I miss painting, taking pictures, and working on my own creative projects. I really love it, so why not make more time for it? Life is too short to keep saying "someday" I'll have an art studio. I have an unoccupied corner in the living room I could use. I need to stock up on some new supplies, which means looking for online coupons for the overpriced supply stores.

I will post some of my work here when I can. I'm tired of this Idol and Weight Loss theme that's taken over. Maybe I'll set up an etsy shop, too. I see brides everyday on message boards looking for designers for their monograms, invitations, etc. There is a market out there. I just need to tackle it!

For now, I need food. I stupidly didn't eat much today because I was nervous about this class, and now my belly is yelling at me. More later!

No comments: