Monday, May 4, 2009

Whacky Weekend

So, I have two interesting animal-related highlights of the weekend that further reminded me that my life is slightly less than ordinary.

Saturday was an absurdly nice day once the sun came out, so Sean and I got some yardwork done before some friends came over. The last thing I had to do was use the weed-whacker around the edging of the yard to get what the mower couldn't reach. I wasn't even 2 minutes into what I was doing and a snake kind of flipped up out of the ground where I had just "whacked". I freaked out! I think my exact words were "You've GOT to be KIDDING ME! I killed another f***ing snake!!" Sean had been going back into the house with our friend Tek and he whipped around. Sean, for every bit that he doesn't like snakes and spiders and things that crawl and slither, he came right over and picked it up, verified that I had chopped off the damn thing's head, and tossed it in our brush pile to be disposed of. 

For the record, I killed a snake last summer the first day I went out to mow the lawn, so it's become a bit of a running joke with my family. My aunt went so far as to declare that St. Patrick "ain't got nothin' on me". 

Whacky highlight numero dos...I was singing at church this weekend, so I left the house around 4 on Saturday to get to the church early to practice. Sean called me as I was pulling into the parking lot and told me "We have a dog." Huh? Really? My first thought was "This is a mean, sick joke. He knows how badly I want a dog.", but the tone of his voice suggested he was telling the truth. It turned out that a little yorkie had wandered into our yard and was sniffing around by the trash. He didn't have any tags, so Sean coaxed him into the backyard, got him some water, and Tek hung out with the little guy so Sean could run to the grocery store in preparation for our gathering that evening. He grabbed a dog dish and some food while he was there. 

Well, I sat through Mass thinking up dog names, trying to picture the little bugger and how our lives might change if it happened that we ended up with this dog. I thought it was funny how a dog would come into our lives like that. I listened to the readings for "Good Shepherd Sunday" with a smile on my face and thoughts of puppy kisses...

I ran out of Mass as soon as I could and hopped in the car. Sean had texted me to let me know he'd taken a picture of the dog, took it around the neighborhood and he found the owners. Our neighbors down the street. They hadn't even noticed he was gone. I was relieved the dog had a home, but pretty upset that the owners had not only neglected to get tags for the thing, but didn't even notice he'd wandered off for over an hour! Our street is fairly busy, and our house is on the corner of Main St., which is very busy, they're lucky he didn't get picked up or hit by a car!

So that was my animal extravaganza of a weekend. Fate decided it was not our time for a dog (and a yorkie for that matter! Little yappers...), or at least for a stray to wander into our lives. 

Stay tuned for more adventures of being me!

1 comment:

The Modern Gal said...

You should market your snake-slashing skills. Could be a good side business.