Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It's that time in our lives...

...when it seems people are getting engaged and married at a much higher frequency. It makes sense, of course. We are in our mid-20s. College sweethearts are perhaps deciding if they will spend the rest of their lives together or part ways. We're (maybe) beyond the random weekly hookup stage in our lives (or maybe not, to each their own). And it seems that recently the pendulum has swung back from the "I will establish my career and then worry about a family" to wanting to get married younger and atart a family younger. I am not naive, I know this is not true for everyone by a long shot, but I think the current state of the world is forcing people to take a closer look at what they really want in life and what will make them happy. I can think of at least 5 friends off the top of my head getting married in the next year or so. Some friends are already married, and a couple have even started families. It's all a little overwhelming, but mostly exciting, to have reached this time in my life.

As an engaged person, I feel very blessed to have found the man of my dreams, and all cheesiness aside, my soulmate. I do believe in soulmates. I also believe that even when you find your soulmate, it's not all happiness, ponies and rainbows. You still have to work at any relationship. I have found this week while on a "staycation" (stay-at-home vacation) that Sean and I are very used to having our own space during the day, working such different schedules. If I ever decided to work at home, I would absolutely have to have a separate office as my own little world. Especially on 90+ degree days when we feel lazy and miserable.

In this world of wedding madness, I just had to laugh when I clicked on my link to idosugar.com and saw this:

Big News! Archie Proposes to Veronica!

Did you ever read these comics? My great-grandpa had a stack of them at his farmhouse in Maine, and my siblings and I used to lie on the floor at night when visiting and read through them. I can't say I remember back enough to say I have an opinion as to whether Archie should have chosen Betty or Veronica (maybe my 7 year old self would have), but this just made me step back and laugh. Seriously - anyone can get married these days! It took Archie and Veronica nearly 60 years (and the blogpost warns that there will be a 6-issue special edition covering the wedding in which anything could happen (note: Betty sobbing in the background). *cue suspenseful music*

Now my train of thought derailed and I am contemplating all the famous fiction marriages that have occurred through a series of books, tv, comic books...What are some of your favorites? Or the most memorable ones that stand out in your mind?

Here are some of mine...

Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy (The Muppets Take Manhattan 1984)




Luke & Laura (General Hospital 1981)
I was not alive (don't hate me) but my mom was all about this one...


























Ron & Hermione (Harry Potter)

What others? Throw them out there!

1 comment:

Adventurous Kate said...

SO true. Not so much with my close friends, but it seems like SO many acquaintances from college and high school are BOOM getting engaged, BOOM getting married and/or BOOM having kids. It's crazy.

I heard there were a few "waves" of people getting married -- guess this is the first.