Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wedding Tidbits

So as promised, I will attempt to condense all wedding type updates into one. The past two weeks saw a few significant "checks", so here goes...

While I was on vacation I got a lot of little do-it-yourself project done, including our card box, our unity candle, and a little something for our out-of-towner welcome bags. I wasn't feeling as gung ho motivated as I thought I would, so I didn't get to any fabric stores to look for lace. That'll be on the back burner.

Wedding Rings

Last weekend we had 3 somewhat major things. First, we went to look at wedding rings. We both found ones we really like, but don't *love*. I liked this palladium band with simple leaf engraving (palladium wears the same as platinum, but is less expensive). Sean was really drawn to the Celtic knot bands, in particular a two toned band with the knot for "Serenity". I've been thinking more an more though about a plain band in platinum, no decoration. So we'll be making another trip to the jeweler in a couple months.

"Let the eat cake!"

We had our cake tasting on Saturday morning, and I love our cake vendor so much because not only do they have a delicious gluten-free chocolate cake, but they're throwing it into our cake package for free, and it's a cake that will feed 20 people! This is great, because the flavors I picked are not chocolate. The big cake will be four tiers, ivory buttercream frosting with champagne pearls and swag, and a pile of chocolate seashells on top. The bottom tier will be Strawberry Grand Marnier, with white cake, and white chocolate mousse filling with fresh cut strawberries. Yum. I should also add that all their cakes are tortes, so there are three layers of cake and two layers of mousse per tier. The second and third tier is tiramisu, and the top tier which I will eat on our anniversary is carrot cake.

I didn't think I would get so excited about cake, but I would say it was one of the most fun experiences in planning so far, other than trying on dresses. Number one, I got to eat cake, and a lot of it! Because of Sean's allergy, I was the only one who could taste the cakes, and they give you an entire slice of cake! From watching wedding shows, I was prepared for a little bite. Nope, I got 8 whole slices of cake folks. At 10 in the morning. I had a crazy sugar high, but I'm not complaining. It was comical though, because every other couple had brought their parents, or one of two people from the wedding party. But our table was just Sean with his chocolate cake, and me with my 8 pieces of cake piled in front of me.

Bridal Shower

Once we were done with the tasting, I dropped Sean off with my brother so they could have a man-day golfing, and went with my future mother-in-law to my bridal shower in the afternoon. It had not been a surprise, but I was still nervous. I consider myself an incredibly social person, but the idea of many people being gathered who don't necessarily know each other, but all know me, was well, overwhelming. I wanted to be a good hostess and tried to spend time with everyone there. It was absolutely lovely. Although it was hot out, my mom, "FMIL", and my favorite ladies worked very hard on putting together a beautiful shower, with lots of iced tea, finger foods, and a candy bar!

Everyone was incredibly generous with gifts. The day seemed like such a blur, but once we got home and I was writing thank yous this week, it really gave me a chance to reflect on the day and each person's thoughtfulness. I got very emotional! I know the state of the economy is making things hard for a lot of people right now, and I never expected to see such a party with so many wonderful women in attendance. I was humbled and felt so loved.

Here are some pictures of the details that went into the special day...

Cake made by one of the mom's from my brother's baseball team.













The Boston/seaside themed candy bar!
-Saltwater taffy
-Rock candy
-Boston baked beans
-Peppermint swirls
-Chocolate malt balls







Candy bags made by "FMIL" and a friend of the family












4 types of iced tea












Favors - Mugs with tea and honey sticks

No comments: