Saturday, August 29, 2009

Setting Up Shop

In an effort to expand my creative outlet and (hopefully) start making some extra money, I am setting up a shop with Etsy! I am very excited because I think it'll be a great way to put myself out there as an artist. At the same time, it's very scary, because making money is entirely dependent on someone seeing your work, liking it, and liking it enough to buy it. I have seen SO many things on Etsy that I would like to buy, but I have yet to actually take that step.

Anyways, I started this project at the beginning of the spring, including building a website to act as a portfolio/small business. Right now everything is very bare bones. So the next step is the "beefing up" step. I need to produce as many pieces as possibly in the next couple months, and I am marketing myself across a wide variety, from painting to photography prints to ink drawings to assisting with wedding stationary needs. Yeah, you can call me crazy now.

Another step I need to take, which I half-assed back in June, is draw up my goals; personal goals as an artist, and business goals as someone who is looking to run a business. The ultimate goal is to be self-sufficient enough to do this full time. I don't know if that will ever happen. But it's worth a try. And boy, I am ready to try, try again as many times as necessary.

For tonight, I have hit my brick wall. However, I will set a goal right here, and I will start small.

This weekend:
  • 3 inked drawings, finished and photographed
  • Photograph my paintings and add to website portfolio
  • Finish 2 graphics I have been putting off
  • Make a generic version of our wedding stationary components, in 3 different color schemes and font families
Cheers!

Shazzie

No comments: