I am a creative person. I like doing creative things, I love projects, I love looking at something that's finished knowing that I have done it all by myself.
However- I am biting the bullet. I have been pouring over all these wedding invitation and craft supply websites, trying to find the best, most cost-effective way to get materials to make my own invitations.
Well, since seeing other girl's DIY invitations all over the knot, I have fallen in love with pocket-fold invites, and there is no cheap way to make your own. I have hemmed and hawed over buying card-stock in bulk with the idea of printing and cutting it all out by myself. And a wave of reality washed over me today while crunching numbers...For an extra $100 over what I originally budgeted for the DIY kits you can buy at Staples ($30 for 50 plain invitations, envelopes, response cards, and response envelopes x2 for 100 invites), I can order pre-cut inserts, invitation mats, sized envelopes, and pocket-folds and have the invitations that deep down I really want.
I know that invitations are not such a big deal to many. People look at them, hang on to them for the pertinent invitation, and our mothers will probably keep it and scrapbook it or whatever. But I still want to design them. And I don't want people to open them up, knowing I designed them, and see things cut crookedly or shelacked together, looking like a kindergarten project. So I am prioritizing my time and nerves over money, and spending the extra dough to get the nicely cut paper, the color I want, the sizes I want, and it will be delivered to me and ready to be printed and assembled.
It'll be a labor of love, that's for sure. And I don't feel so bad knowing that a lot of people easily spend between $300 and $1000 on invitations, and ours will be original to us, costing about $160 in the end...
That is, before stamps.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Good Call! You really don't want me helping with stuff like cutting and fanciness. You know, me with my steady hands and all that!
You will be the official envelope stuffer! Actually, we can start stuff save the dates tonight!
My old roommate and a few of our other friends made a Friday night out of putting her invitations together. I think we sat in our PJs watched Sex and the City. It was kinda fun.
Post a Comment