Could they have picked a better theme for last night? The Rat Pack. Solid standards, songs that would either sound amazing or butchered, depending on the arrangement...And folks, I honestly don't know who will leave tonight. So let's assess:
Kris Allen - Well, it took him getting into the top 5 for me to remember how to spell his name. He sang The Way You Look Tonight, one of my favorites (I love Fred Astaire's version best), and I thought he did a pretty good job. I don't think his voice cracking up into his falsetto was well stylized for this genre, but it's his thing as an "artist". B+
Allison I.....can't spell her last name - Allison looked lovely and cute in her more classy rocker chick getup. She sang Someone to Watch Over Me, and while she did a great job with it, it was kind of predictable. I was afraid she'd be in danger, so I voted for her. At least 10 times. She might be done tonight, but I hope not. B
Matt G - Matt sang probably the most vocally challenging song of the evening, My Funny Valentine, and although he did it well, there's just something about his voice that I don't love anymore. He has such a great raw voice, but when he starts doing runs and dips and putting his own "flair" on an already great song, it doesn't impress me. He's my hopeful pick to go home tonight. B-
Danny Gokey - I've heard many say Danny could win this competition with the entire Christian Right voting for him, which is true, but- he does have a great voice. He very much reminds me of Robert Downey Jr., beyond the looks. He has a very rough, sexy voice, but he's also very passionate about his music. He's not just doing this on a whim, this has been his career path for a while. I think last night's performance of Come Rain or Come Shine was one of his best. Unfortunately, the "good boy" charm is wearing off. He's lacking a lot of the personality I really loved at the beginning of the show. The guy's probably just damn tired. A-
Adam Lambert - I feel so wrong trying to judge the other contestants in comparison to him, because he's just been in a different league from day 1. Let's face it, the swaggering entrance down the stairs, the white suit (which he Twittered that he spilled salsa on after the show), and his flawless performance of Feeling Good all makes up the star-package that this show is all about. If you don't like him because he wears black nail polish and eyeliner, get over it. He has the vocal range (or more, perhaps) of Steven Tyler, and he will go far beyond the Kodak Theatre. You're the winner in my book, Adam. A+
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment