Last night, Sean and I received an email from his parents, which resulted in a good 15 minutes of sheer panic, horror, and unrest. Here's what it said...
Hi Sean and Shannon
I am sending this to both of you in an email so that you guys have a chance to discuss it before responding to us..
Here goes,
Dad and I would like to do a wedding vow renewal at your ceremony. We have been thinking about it for a long time and thought that this would be the perfect opportunity. Everyone we would like to be there would be. Mrs. A____ gave me the idea. She was singing at a wedding this weekend and the parents of the bride did a vow renewal. She said it was truly beautiful. The daughter wore a traditional wedding gown and the mother wore a beige one. The parents stood up with their kids and said their vows at the same time! She even got a copy of the ceremony for us to refer to.
We can talk about this more but I wanted to give you a chance to think about it and not just spring it on you. Of course you have the final say.
Hugs and kisses,
mom and dad
After discussing with Sean for a good 10 minutes on how to handle this, all the while thinking it was wildly inappropriate, but feeling like a selfish brat for feeling like it's our day, it's not supposed to be all about them...So Sean called his friend who frequently sings at weddings for advice. His friend said that in all the years he's done weddings, he's never heard of something like this, and that he thought it would completely disrupt the Mass.
Sean called his parents. I told him to be gentle, it sounded like they had their hearts set on this. We planned on suggesting that they do it at the rehearsal dinner, since family would be there, they could still get dressed up. We were going to make this work! Just not in the middle of our wedding...I was still torn though because I was worried my parents would feel overshadowed. I would have suggested that they also renew their vows, but they didn't have a Catholic wedding.
Well, it turns out that it was a complete April Fool's joke! A day early! And we completely fell for it! I was laughing my butt off for a good 30 minutes, and his mom called to make sure I wasn't upset and we talked for a good 15 minutes and had a good laugh. I just couldn't believe they got us. After 6 years of Sean pulling the wool over their eyes, they finally got their revenge. The first words out of her mouth were "Welcome to the family!".
Now, had this been within 6 months of the wedding, I might not have been such a good sport about it, but it was actually very funny at this point. I had been feeling like planning had been going incredibly smooth and drama-free. So when I saw that email, I wanted to die! All of those fragile emotions that come with getting married were rearing their head.
Thank God it was just a joke, because seriously, that would have been ridiculous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ok, I don't feel bad thinking 'that's so inappropriate' after reading the e-mail :) That is funny!
Post a Comment