Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Adventures in Heating

It all started Sunday evening, after we took down our tree and brought it outside, when we noticed that the house seemed a bit chilly! We've been trying to be conservative about our heating so we don't get hammered with a massive bill, as well as not wanting to be wasteful. We sucked it up and put on the sweatshirts and socks and blankets and had a fun night with friends.

Yesterday morning, it was what I would call "nippy" when I got out of bed. It tends to be cooler in the morning anyways, compared to the cozy snuggly warmth of being in bed, but it was cold enough for me to actually stumble in the dark looking for slippers.

When I got home last night, I sat at the computer, posted my previous two posts over the course of an hour of Stumbling, and my right hand became numb on the mouse. I put the warmest sweatshirt, socks and fleece pants that I could find on, turned the thermostat up to 68 and curled up under a blanket on the couch to watch The Bachelor (don't judge me). I heard the heater going in the basement, but it didn't seem to be getting any warmer. Sean came home just after midnight and crawled into bed. His feet were like ice blocks! Sure, we laughed over it (he likes to torture me by putting his cold feet on my warm legs- gah!) but the fact that he thought it was cold sure told us something.

Which brings us to this morning. This is the first morning in a I've woken up not sweating from wearing fleece pj pants, a long sleeve t-shirt, piled under a sheet, a knit blanket, a thin down comforter, a quilt, a small quilt down over our feet and a big puffy down comforter folded down over our feet. I rousted myself out of bed and literally scurried into the bathroom and into the shower. The floor was freezing! I "surfboarded" on the bath mat so as to not touch my toes to the seemingly frosty tiles. I relished my 15 minute steaming shower. Dried off as quickly as I could and (gross, I know) put my pajamas back on note to self: buy a bathrobe! and scurried back into the bedroom and threw on the clothes that I planned out to wear while in the shower. \

I cranked the thermostat to 70 before I ran out the door, hoping it would warm up a bit before Sean woke up. Again, I heard the heater turn on in the basement.

Well, it wasn't any warmer when he woke up. Our house had officially lost about 85% of it's heat and it was time to investigate. Sean went and bought a new thermostat, but that wasn't the problem. Along comes Landlord's Repairguy who determines that our pilot light will not stay lit. It must have been mislighting for at least the past 3 or 4 days for it to have gotten that cold.

Needless to say, he replaced a part and it's fixed and Sean cranked the thermostat to 70 before leaving for work so I would come home to a nice warm house. Which I did. Yay!

I just turned it back down to 65.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was frackin cold!

Kelly Anne said...

Having been recently visited by the magical "new heater" fairy right before Christmas, I can definitely relate.

Glad it got fixed, and quickly!