Thursday, January 22, 2009

Miracle Lotion?

I have always had horribly dry skin, even in the summer, with dry patches and flakiness on my forehead, elbows, and forearms. I have never really settled into a good skin routine, and have yet to find a moisturizer that really does a good job keeping my skin soft for more than an hour before it dries out. Add to that cold, dry winter temperatures, hot dry air in my car, office, and house, and the result is very sad skin.


Since I am getting married next winter, I have been determined to find a good product that not only locks in moisture and keeps my skin smooth, but also gives it a natural looking glow, since I am not one for faux tanning, and I do not want to be red and splotchy on my big day.


While at Rite Aid yesterday taking some pictures for work, I perused the health and beauty section. I have always been a fan of cocoa butter, and I used it from time to time in high school. I love the warm, subtle, and almost tropical smell. It's not overpowering like a lot of lotions that are out there, and most scented lotions don't have any lasting moisturizing qualities. They just stink. Literally.


While browsing I saw that Vaseline has a cocoa butter lotion now. I trust Vaseline as it has been around a long time (since 1870!), and has always proven to be a brand that provides results. And you really can't beat 24.5 oz for $7!


I used it for the first time this morning, only on my arms and face, which are my major trouble spots. I put it on at 7 am, and now at 9:15 am, my arms are silky smooth, my face feels smooth, and my skin has this glow that looks healthy and radiant! I will check back later today and let you know how it is holding up, but folks, I may have found my dream moisturizer.


The full name of it is Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning Body Lotion, available at chain drugstores and supermarkets.


1 comment:

Adventurous Kate said...

I've had eczema my whole life (though it's much better now than when I was little) and it SUCKS in the winter. One new thing I've found is actually Neosporin. If you've got a weird, red patch of super-dry skin, Neosporin might be something to try. Just for spot treatment -- don't cover your body in it, obviously!