Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Thoughts

This morning on my way to work, I got a little teary eyed; overwhelmed with emotion, perhaps. The past few months have been the ultimate rollercoaster for our country, with more twists and turns (lies or half truths?), stomach churning corkscrews (did you watch Palin's Katie Couric interview?), and the biggest, scariest (economic) drop we've experienced yet. And we're stil not sure if we've reached the bottom. Picture Six Flag's New England's Superman, Ride of Steel, where the first plummet is so steep and fast, and the scariest thing is you can't see the bottom.

These are times when we are nervous, scared, and looking for someone to give us hope that things will get better. We want to believe that our country can once again be the great nation we once were. When I watch Obama speak, I have hope. I feel it in my heart, and he inspires belief in me that we will come back, and we will come back strong.

I have hope.

Today will mark a significant time in history where we can potentially elect the first African American President to the United States of America. That isn't why you should vote for him, but the fact that we're at this turning point in history is fantastic. I am proud of America. When our parents and grandparents were young voters, do you think they ever pictured a day like this?

I have hope.

We are a great nation. When we treat each other with respect, when we support each other, when we support our troops, I have hope. When we walk miles for peace and run marathons for the fundraising of research to beat cancer, diabetes and heart disease, I have hope. When we are so inspired and full of passion that we have tears in our eyes at the thought that things can and will get better, I have hope.

Go out and vote. I said it before, be informed, trust your heart, and vote. Don't be angry or violent if things don't go how you'd like. What makes our country great is the coming together of different beliefs, different backgrounds, different people.

It's not too late for us. I have hope.

No comments: