Monday, November 3, 2008

Online Bullying

The past couple months have been very interesting in regards to this political race, and I will be happy when it's over. I have watched people, friends even, rip each other to shreds over contrasting political views, saying things that I hope they would never say directly to someone's face. I have seen it in political blogs, regular blogs, a forum my friends use, Facebook. It is amazing what some people will say when the element of online anonymity is thrown into the mix.

Here's an interesting article on online bullying which inspired this post. I am curious as to how many people who read this have fallen victim to online bullying before, be it through blog comments, email, forums. How did you handle what was said to you? Did you know the person or was it a stranger?

It really upsets me that this happens, especially to kids. It's hard enough being young and trying to fit in, develop a self-esteem, without someone tearing you down publicly. I'd like to say it gets easier as an adult, but words hurt no matter how old you are.

No comments: