Friday, March 6, 2009

#7 Young At Heart

I babysit a couple times a month, and I am constantly reminded of what it is to be young, innocent, and full of joy. The two families I sit for are really sweet and loving, and it is reflected in the kids. Some people ask me why I still babysit when I'm 25 with a full time job. Well, I do it because I really enjoy it. I've been around these families for almost three years now, and they've become like an extended family to me.

Wednesday night I was sitting for the family from my church. They have a girl who will be 9 next week and a boy who will be 7. The boy has autism. They are both great kids, very sweet, funny, and they love to play and dance and have fun while I'm there.

It was a quiter night, but the girl told me when I got there that she had lost a tooth and the Tooth Fairy was "late". She had been waiting for two days for the Tooth Fairy to come. Well, conveniently, there had been a big snowstorm Monday night, so I told her the Tooth Fairy probably couldn't go out Monday night since it was so cold and snowy, it wouldn't be good for her wings. And maybe her driveway hadn't been plowed.

Then she told me she thought that everyone must have their own personal tooth fairy, because what about when the tooth fairies get married and have babies? There must be an overabundance of tooth fairies in the world.

I almost died from the cuteness.

So later when I was helping the kids get ready for bed, I had to get a tissue from the girl's nightstand. I glanced down and saw a little note scrawled on lined paper:

"Dear Tooth Fairy,

Could you please bring me a pack of Pokemon Trading Cards instead of money? Thank you very much.

love,
_________

p.s. Please sign here to prove it was you _________________"

What I wouldn't give sometimes to be that age again.

No comments: