Saturday, March 7, 2009

#8 Winter Melts Away


I love the smell of one of the first days of spring. It's a very distinct smell. It is fresh and light. It smells of melting snow, and new growth and warmth from the sun. It is about 55 degrees outside, and I triumphantly opened as many windows as possible to let the fresh air into the house. I am even contemplating taking the plastic down in our bedroom and living room. I looked ahead at the coming week's weather. Thursday and Friday look to be in the 30s, but that's really not so bad for only two days.

The opening of windows and taking down of plastic is always met with caution in New England. We did, afterall, have a blizzard on April 1 when I was in middle school. However, I can't help but squeal with delight that I can go outside today without a jacket and not be shivering. I'm even contemplating forgoing the gym, doing a workout at home so I can shower and get out and enjoy the day.

As you can see in the picture, there is still snow on the ground, but it is fast retreating and soon there will be grass to cut, a garden to plant, and the ever glorious season of Major League Baseball.

No comments: