Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Spring!

I have been eagerly awaiting this day for at least the past month and a half, and it has arrived!

With snow flurries!

No joke. Driving into work this morning, about halfway there, I drove into snow flurries. And I just had to laugh. The weekend and week ahead are looking to be a little warmer, with some rain towards the end of the week. Hopefully this means spring flowers will soon follow.

I am going to be a gardening fiend, it seems, this spring. Our landlord granted us permission to dig up the three huge stacks of elephant grass (the stuff that scratched up my arms last weekend), which he will pick up and plant at his own house. In it's place, I want to plant lots and lots of flowers. I want color! Sean's only request is sunflowers, which I think we can do. I need to do some research and consult my aunts and uncles, who have more seasoned and greener thumbs than I, and find out what flowers would be best for the sunlight we get. Ideally I would like to plant perennials (bulbs which come back each year), but I think you're supposed to plant them in the fall...

Are there any gardeners or flower enthusiasts who can shed some light and make some recommendations. If my memory serves me correct, the garden area gets the most sun midday, and it's mostly shaded in the morning and late afternoon.

I am envisioning tulips, gladiolas, lilies (maybe some lily of the valley?)...maybe some wildflowers?

And let the research commence.

3 comments:

Adventurous Kate said...

I'm trying to remember if you have any fence/wall area. I love vine flowers -- morning glories and trumpet flowers. Very beautiful, even on a chain-link fence, like my grandmother always had.

Shannon said...

Oooh, that sounds lovely. We do have the chainlink fence along the side next to the parking lot. There are already viney tree-like things growing alone it...I will look into those types. I also like snapdragons.

The Modern Gal said...

Sounds lovely. I plan on doing some work on my own patio!

I think sunflowers need as much sun as they can get, so if you get a lot of midday and late afternoon sun, that's probably best.

Can't wait to see some pictures!