Thursday, February 26, 2009

#2 When You Sing, You Pray Twice



There is nothing that warms my heart more than a full choir, with four balanced (and strong) sections, singing something truly beautiful. Tonight at choir practice, we started really digging into the music for Lent and Holy Week, which if you ask me, has much better music than Advent.

I feel so blessed to be part of such a wonderful group of people. Not only are these people kind, loving, and remarkable friends, but to have the gift of song and to be able to come together each week to unite our voices in harmony...it's truly a gift.

I really haven't been part of a full choir that sings this kind of music since high school, and even then, it was public school, so all though we sang music of religious origin, we also sang Chattanooga Choo Choo (not knockin' it!) and All That Jazz and many many other genre's of music.

But this is the good stuff.

During four years of college, I attended many great concerts for the Fairfield University Glee Club and not-so-secretly yearned to be a part of such a group. Now I am. There is no audition. There is no scorning of out of tune voices or flubbed words. There is joy. There is friendship. There is giving glory and praise through song. I don't know anyone who doesn't feel something spiritual moving in them when they hear a truly remarkable piece of music.

No comments: