Saturday, February 28, 2009

#3 Signs of Spring


(Written for Friday) 

I made a point of going out for lunch so I could get some fresh air. I knew it was supposed to be a warmer day, and I wasn't let down. It was rather cloudy, but I didn't need a jacket and the temperature had to have been at least 55. I love living in New England and experiencing 4 full seasons each year. This is the first year since I moved to CT that we've had what I would consider a real New England winter, with lots of snow and cold temperatures. Heck, there's snow in the forecast for tomorrow and Monday!

I try not to complain too much about the weather we get. It's never hot or cold long enough during the year to be unbearable. Sometimes I wonder why some people stick around this area if they're only going to complain about the weather, but then I take the time to look around and it becomes clear...This part of the country is so beautiful. We have the ocean, the mountains, lakes, forests...The coastal towns thrive off of fresh saltwater fish and shellfish. In the summer we can enjoy the beach and hiking and sailing, in the winter we can go ice skating, skiing, sledding. There is always a Corona or hot chocolate ready to greet us when we get home. 
The fall offers us foliage, the smokey smell of someone with a fire in the fireplace, and apple orchards ready to be picked. 

And spring...yes, spring promises birds chirping, flowers blossoms, green grass and leaves, and the warmth of the sun. I eagerly look forward to the day I can break out the sandals and skirts, take the plastic off the windows and open them up to air out the house.  Nights of driving home with the windows down and great music blaring out into the night. 
It's just around the corner.  

1 comment:

The Modern Gal said...

I think the first crack of spring is my favorite time of all year. It just feels so promising.