Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sacrifices & Generosity

It is that time of year in my faith when I reflect upon something I would be willing to sacrifice in my life for the next 6 weeks. I always like this time of year, because spring is approaching, and it is a good time to reflect on how things are going. Am I happy? What's causing my happiness? Am I sad or stressed out? What's causing that? What can I do without that will help me become a more mindful, better person. And what can I put some extra effort into in order to help the world around me?

As much as we'd all like to be idealist angels and save the world from poverty and strife, it's important to be realistic. Is it realistic to say I am going to go to a shelter or organization every day to volunteer? It's not realistic while carrying on the things I do in my life. Would it do any good in the world to give up red meat or soda, other than selfishly hope to lose weight and save a cow? No. I've gone the route of giving up coffee (I was grouchy and downright MEAN for 6 weeks!) and giving up blogging (I became obsessed with reading tons of blogs, taking up much more time than it would take for me to write an entry).

So what can I do to help the world and keep myself mindful and thankful for what I have? Well, I can share something joyful or beautiful from my day and hopefully "spread a little sunshine". I could give up using the computer at home, but that might cause me to be much less productive at work. More than I already am...I think I will celebrate each day, on this blog, with a reflective entry accompanied by a picture. My hope is to use something I love (photography) to put some love out into the world.

Prepare yourselves to get to know me a whole lot better in the next 6 weeks.

I will start tomorrow.